Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Homeschool Decisions

Well, I was pretty much all set to order My Father's World curriculum.  I kept putting it in my "cart" and just couldn't get myself to click on 'buy'.  So, I decided to continue to pray about it.  My Father's World is an excellent curriculum, it's just sooooo expensive.  I don't want to dish out $375.00, even though I know it is a complete Bible, Geography and History curriculum with all the books you need.  It's very important to our family to have a Christ based curriculum.

 So, I decided to explore...and research....then I went back and looked at all my notes from the homeschool convention I went to.  I enjoyed Sonya Shafer so much that I attended all of her sessions.  I have applied much of what I learned from her to the rest of this years teachings and we have LOVED it! Yes, I said loved it!  There have been no tears, no frustrations.  There has been laughter, learning and exploring. Praise God! Why change this? It's working, leave it be.  But! I don't have  Geography or History implemented.  I do have PictureSmart Bible that we will all be doing, but I need a Geography and History curriculum that is Christ centered.  What to do...? Back to the drawing board? No! Let's go to Sonya Shafers Website and see what she recommends for those subjects.  Well, wouldn't you know, at simplycharlottemason.com she has a free curriculum guide that has all of her suggestions.  She has a History/Geography Module that is around $10.00 and the two books that go with it are $20.00 for both.  Thirty dollars is definitley doable.  Then she has book recommendations and such. So between buying those three books and picking up a few other recommendations from Christian Book Distributors, I can get all that I need for under $150.00! This includes "living books" (woohoo!) and an art and music study and science.  Anything else we need, Sonya Shafer really encourages you to make use of your local library. Now, I ask you, why didn't I think of that?

So...I still haven't clicked buy at simplychartlottemason.com or at Christianbook.com, but I do know this is our plan and we will be saving a boat load of money. Praise God! 

If any homeschooling families are reading this, I encourage you to check out the website www.simplycharlottemason.com. I am not affiliated with the company, just very enthusiastic!

Blessings,
Terry

1 comment: