Monday, May 7, 2012

Word study, "Faith"

Recently, I started a word study during my time with the Lord.  I pray that what I have learned can be an encouragement to all who read this, it was to me.

First, the definition of faith is believe, trust.  Simple words truly, but why are they so hard to apply? I used the NASB bible.
Here are some verses the Lord led me to:

Psalm 146:6 - Who made heaven and earth, the sea and all that in them; who keeps faith forever. This portion of scripture reminds me that God is our abundant helper.

Habakkuk 2:4 - Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith. Righteous is defined as morally right.

Matthew 9:2 - And they brought to Him, a paralytic, lying on a bed seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven.  The sick man was healed by Jesus because he had faith that Jesus would heal him.

Matthew 17:20 - And He said to the, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have the faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there:, and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you." Here Jesus is being asked by the disciples why weren't they able to drive out a demon? This verse was His answer. they had so little faith that they were unable to do it. Jesus said their faith wasn't even the size of a mustard seed, or else they would have been able to. If you have faith just the size of a mustard seed, you will be able to move mountains.

Luke 7:50 - " And He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you, go in peace." The woman's faith in the Lord that He would forgive her, was why she was forgiven.

Luke 22:32 - ?But I have prayed for you, that your faith will not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." Jesus is telling us to not fail in our faith, our trust and belief (remember that is the definition of faith) that He will provide.  We are to be, as Christians, an example of faith.

Romans 10:17 - "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." We have faith that there is a God, not because we have seen Him physically but because we hear Him through the Holy Spirit. In order to hear Him, we need to pray and listen for Him. He is always with us..,

2 Corinthians 5:7 - "For we walk by faith, not by site." The Lord opens up doors for us, we walk thru them believing and trusting (remember that is the definition of faith!) and being guided by Him. Not because we can see ahead of time what is waiting for us, but because we trust in Him.

Galations 2:20 -" I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." Wow! We trust Him with our eternal life, why do we struggle with trusting him with our life here in on earth today?!

Hebrews 11:6 - "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." I believe this a reminder to seek Him throughout the day everyday.

Hebrews 11:8 - "By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance, and he went out not knowing where he was going." God told him to "Go" and he did, not knowing but believing and trusting in Him.

James 1:6 - "But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind." when we ask in faith, not doubting, the Lord shows us.  He provides in a way that we can't even begin to fathom. His only request? We trust in Him and believe in Him.  He wants us to follow Him blindly because if we saw the future, we wouldn't be relying on our faith in Him.

There are many more verses about faith, this is only a handful.  I want to stress that this is what the Lord showed me in these verses. My prayer is that this will be an encouragement to you.  If just one person is encouraged by this post, may the glory be to God.  I have faith that it will be so.

Blessings in Christ,
Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment